Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March through Colossians - 1:24-29

After mentioning at the end of yesterday’s section that he became a minister of the gospel, Paul takes some time in today’s section to expand on his gospel ministry. I’m sure he did this for a number of reasons, but one that we can spot is that since he was unknown (in person) to the Colossians, he wanted them to be informed about the authenticity of his ministry in light of the claims of the false teachers present in Colossae (2:4-5: “I say this in order that no one may delude you with plausible arguments. For though I am absent in body, yet I am with you in spirit.”).

Paul, as a servant of Christ, like Christ, cares quite thoroughly for His people.

A good study Bible like the ESV Study Bible can give you some help on difficult passages like the one today about “what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions” (see the ESV Study Bible note here for an explanation).

I like verse 29: “For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me.” Most certainly, based at least on 1:11 (“May you [regular non-apostle believers] be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might…”), the energy and power at work in Paul for his gospel ministry is available to you who are in Christ for whatever calling God has set before you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment