Saturday, May 9, 2009

Thunder and the Sovereignty of God

Owen and thunder don't get along too well. In fact, I don't believe there is anything in this universe that he is more scared of. Tonight there was thunder at the Purdy house.

It took quite a bit of praying and comforting and story-reading and window-checking, but he finally went down ok. As I sat down on the couch to a good book (Suffering and the Sovereignty of God, John Currid), I realized something about the whole situation. Owen was calm mainly because the thunder had stopped, but at any moment it could start again. In an instant, our whole night could change. This was especially striking to me because in sitting down to a good book, I was subconsciously (then consciously) finding my hope and satisfaction in the absence of thunder and the presence of a good book. How would I respond if suddenly the thunder returned, and I needed to help my son for another 30 minutes? Every single clap of thunder falls under the sovereign rule and plan of almighty God (i.e., whenever it thunders, it is God who has made it thunder, Job 38, Psalm 104). Would I respond with self-centered discontentment, since my will is being crossed? Or would I respond with prayerful and trusting contentment, knowing that God's will (that it thunder and that I put my book down and help my sweet son) is infinitely wiser and better than mine. "Not my will, but yours be done" (Luke 22:42) was Jesus' prayer in the garden of Gethsamane, and I realized that I should have the same posture of heart.

I did not have to fear what the next moment would bring (or, what God would bring in the next moment). Though it did not thunder and Owen went calmly and quickly to sleep, it was a steadying and peace-giving comfort to know that I live under the sovereign hand of God. This God "does according to his will among the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay his hand or say to him, 'What have you done?'" (Daniel 4:35). He also "causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28). Even thunder claps.

No comments:

Post a Comment